The MSCA holds elections for President, Vice President, Treasure, and Secretary every two years (even numbered).
- Any member (full or part-time) in good standing (meaning who has paid their union dues) is eligible to be a candidate.
- All union members may vote in such elections (you must pay your dues by March 15 to be eligible).
- The MSCA Board of Directors voted this year to hold this election exclusively electronically.
- Information about candidates and ballots will be provided by the Nominations and Election Coordinator. You may contact the email@example.com.
| CANDIDATE NOMINATIONS |
- Any member interested in running as a candidate for one of the officer positions should request nomination papers from the Nominations & Elections Coordinator via email. You should specify your name, campus affiliation, and the position for which you are seeking nomination.
- The Nominations & Elections Coordinator will send you nomination papers with your name and the position to collect signatures from members.
- Potential nominees must collect at least forty (40) signatures from members in good standing from no fewer than two (2) chapters.
- All papers/signatures must be filed with the Nominations & Elections Coordinator no later than 5pmEST on Friday, February 2, 2024 for certification.
| ELECTION CALENDAR & RULES |
The Election Calendar & Rules are drafted by the MSCA Elections Committee and submitted to the Board of Directors. The MSCA Board of Directors adopted the following elections calendar & rules on December 1, 2023.
| CANDIDATES |
2024 State MSCA Candidates
| CANDIDATE FORUMS |
Below is a list of the MSCA-wide candidate forums with their respective date and time. These forums will be conducted via Zoom.
Charles R. Fox, Forum Coordinator and Professor of Psychology at Worcester State University, will serve as moderator for each forum.
Note: To be allowed in the Forum, members must sign up 48 hours in advance. Members may submit up to three (3) questions for consideration to be asked during the forum.
Office of President, Vice President and Treasurer Candidate Forum
Thursday 29 February 2024 from 6-7pm
Register here to attend this Candidate Forum
Office of Secretary Candidate Forum
Friday 23 February 2024 from 1-2pm
Register here to attend the MSCA Secretary Candidate Forum
Attendee Rules for Candidate Forums
Attendees are asked to adhere to the following rules during the candidate forums:
Attendees will be required to display their first and last names.
Attendees will be required to mute their microphones unless called upon to speak.
Attendees may not display any MSCA election-related campaign messaging in their video or profile photos.
Rules of decorum will be followed during the forum. Attendees may not use or display foul language, use offensive gestures, etc.
The Forum Coordinator reserves the right to eject any attendee violating these policies.
| OFFICER POSITIONS |
- The President shall set organizational goals, enact association policies, act on any resolves adopted at Delegates Assembly, and implement decisions of the Board of Directors. The President shall convene and preside over the Board of Directors meetings and the Delegate Assembly. The President shall hire and manage union staff and paid member positions. The President shall prepare and send communications to membership about association matters. The President shall represent the union at mediation, arbitration and legal hearings and represent the association with external audiences and the press. The President shall be responsible for reporting to the MTA the names of MSCA delegates and designated alternates to the MTA Annual Meeting. The President shall be responsible for reporting to the NEA the names of MSCA delegates and designated alternates to the NEA Representative Assembly.
- The President shall receive nine (9) credits of course release each semester and additional compensation to be set by the Delegate Assembly. In 2023, that amount was set at $24,851.00.
- The Vice President shall assist the President in achieving the association goals; preside at meetings and perform other duties of the president when the president is unable to do so; serve as a liaison to MSCA standing and ad-hoc committees to provide support to committees in fulfilling their charge, and assist the President with member and external communications.
- The Vice President shall receive six (6) credits of course release each semester and additional compensation to be set by the Delegate Assembly. In 2023, the amount was set at $11,396.00.
- The Treasurer shall be responsible for the preparation of a budget. All deduction payments shall be made to the MSCA. The Treasurer shall receive these funds, bill cash-payment members for dues, and transmit amounts due the Chapters, the MTA, and the NEA according to a previously agreed- upon plan. The Treasurer shall maintain a roll of the members. The Treasurer shall be bonded. The Treasurer shall be responsible for the determination of each Chapter’s delegate allocation for the Annual Meeting of the Delegate Assembly and the MTA Annual Meeting, subject to approval by the Board of Directors. The Treasurer shall present reports on expenses, at least quarterly, to the Board of Directors. The Treasurer shall make arrangements for annual financial audits of the organization and share the auditing statements with the Board of Directors.
- The Treasurer shall receive three (3) credits of course release each semester and additional compensation to be set by the Delegate Assembly. In 2023, that amount was set at $18,588.00.
- The Secretary shall take minutes at all board meetings. The Secretary shall keep all the records of the organization on file including minutes of the MSCA Board of Directors meetings and Delegates Assembly, MSCA committee reports, and official documents of the organization, including the Constitution and any standing rules. The Secretary shall keep the Constitution up-to-date with any changes made through the amendment process. The Secretary shall preside over meetings of the Board of Directors if the President and Vice President are absent, until the Delegates Assembly elects a temporary Chairperson or a new President is elected.
- The Secretary shall receive additional compensation to be set by the Delegate Assembly. In 2023, that amount was set at $11,396.00.