MSCA BOARD OF DIRECTORS MEETING
Minutes of the Regular Meeting
November 2, 2001
Worcester State College
B. Art, G. Concannon, A. Goyette, G. Kaza, W. Mahaney, P. Markunas, P. McGee, F. Minasian,C. O'Donnell, L. Paolillo, G. Price, N. Price, S. Schlosberg, M. Seider, J. Stonehouse, G. Tetrault, D. Twiss
D. Sirutis, R. Whalen (MTA); J. McHale (Director, MTA)
Orders of the Day:
It was moved and seconded to change the orders of the day so that the grievance report could be delivered under the Vice Presidentís Report. The motion passed.
It was moved and seconded to approve the minutes of October 5, 2001. The motion passed.
The MSCA president reported on activities/strategies on the funding of the MSCA contract, lobbying activities, meeting with the COP, the MSCA Directory, committee appointments, and reconsideration of the motion directing MSCA chapters not to seek the names of merit recipients.
It was moved and seconded that the MSCA Board request the names, amounts and reasons, etc., for merit awards and that this information be turned over to an agreed-upon third party and kept undisclosed until merit is actually awarded. The motion passed.
It was moved and seconded that the MSCA Board should send a communication to the local state college Boards of Directors to urge them to raise fees to provide revenues to fund our contract. The motion failed.
It was moved and seconded to refer a motion that would have the MSCA Board finance an ad campaign to publicize the contract funding issue to the MSCA bargaining committee for its recommendation. The motion passed.
It was moved and seconded that the MSCA Board not meet jointly with the Council of Presidents. The motion was amended to make the meeting contingent on funding of the contract by December 1, 2001. The amended motion passed. It was moved and seconded to accept the agenda for the meeting with the COP. The motion was amended to make Item #2, Item #1. The amended motion passed.
Vice President's Report:
The vice president reported on legislative matters and grievances. He discussed at some length his plan for dealing with grievances arising from post tenure review.
The treasurer, once again, pointed out the union's problem with cash flow. She delivered the monthly breakdown sheet of MSCA expenses.
MSCA Committee Reports:
The chair of the Database Committee passed out his report and offered the following motions:
1) That the following fields be deleted from the MSCA salary database: Base Salary, Rank Money, Degree Money, Internal/External Money, K-12 Money and Professional Experience Money; and the following fields be added to the MSCA salary database: Year of PTR, Rank Upon Hire, and Year of Last Promotion Evaluation; and
2) That the MSCA president solicit from President Tinsley a response to the following questions regarding the compilation of the COPís 2000-2001 report on state college faculty salaries:
* Was the data used in the report actual data or projected data assuming full funding of the collective bargaining agreement?
* Was the report compiled using data from the Spring 2001 semester?
* Were full-time temporary faculty included in the computations?
* Were Instructor salaries incorporated into Assistant Professor salaries or were they not included in the report?
The motions passed.
MSCA Chapter Reports:
The chapter presidents reported on the various activities taking place on their respective campuses.
The meeting adjourned at 3:06 p.m.
Gerald Concannon, Secretary, MSCA